This policy has been placed in order to keep our festival safe and comfortable for all visitors, guests, vendors, and administrators.
The following reasons are also imminent issues at hand for enforcing the “no pet policy”:1. The heat of a mid May day is not conducive to keeping your pets outside or traveling with them in a vehicle.
2. The ambient temperature also greatly increases the heat coming off of the pavement and asphalt, which can be harmful to the pads on dog’s feet.
3. The festival is not animal-friendly, which means no water stations are provided for the dogs/pets.
4. The festival has loud music! Dogs can hear at 4 times the distance of humans with good hearing, which could make music at that volume very uncomfortable.
5. The festival has lots of food! Where a human has about 5 million scent glands, a dog has anywhere from 125 million to 300 million, depending on breed. When the smell of food is overwhelming to us, a dog’s brain is likely going wild trying to distinguish the smells and will certainly want some of what everyone else is having.
6. The festival is crowded! Every year, over 40,000 people are expected to walk through the few blocks of downtown Blacksburg, which are filled up with vendors and booths. Dogs and pets can easily become overwhelmed in such a crowded situation.
7. Not everyone loves pets or wants to be around them. As much as we animal lovers prioritize our pets, some folks do not want to attend an event where they may come in contact with pets/animals.
All of these situational circumstances could easily lead a dog or pet to act/react outside of their normal behavioral compass. The best dog in the world can easily stress and react in an unexpected manner.
Please consider the information provided here before bringing your companion animal to our upcoming benefit concert. Habitat for Humanity and M.Special Brewing Co. has worked tirelessly to provide a fun and SAFE event for our visitors. By adhering to the “no pets” policy, you are helping Habitat accomplish just that.
We hope you fully enjoy Hammer N’ Ales 2018!
If you have any questions regarding this policy, please call our office at 805-692-2226.